The Glass Bottom Boat is run by an experienced, fun, energetic yet professional team. With years of experience on the water, working with wildlife and within the tourism industry, everyone works hard to ensure every trip is one to remember.
Hospitality and respect between different people, groups and cultures
We are dedicated to making sure everyones experience is memorable. A high level of customer service, satisfaction and comfort are some of our core values. Let our team guide you through your Glass Bottom Boat adventure with a big smile and warm heart.
Why we are special
- The only boat with two crew to assist you during the tour (over the summer months).
- Our purpose built vessel is the optimum is passenger comfort and safety. Enjoy the comfort of our cabin keeping you protected from the sun or any weather conditions.
- The only vessel without designated seating, allowing you to get up and move around the boat as pleased.
- Very highly ranked on Trip Adviser, Silver Qualmark status and a recipient of Destination Coromandel’s Service Award.
- We undergo and satisfy stringent quality assessment audits with Qualmark. This ensures we are providing our guests with top quality service and safety procedures.
- Employ a team with top qualifications and excellent service skills to ensure all tours are carried out in a fun, professional and safe manner.
Owners, Mark and Hayley Jones have been working in eco-tourism since their early 20’s and have been lucky enough to work together diving with whale sharks in Western Australia, Guiding humpback whale swims in Tonga, guiding dive tours in Canada and sustainable lobster farming in the Caribbean. With a passion for the ocean and marine life they knew they wanted to run their own tourism business, so they moved to Whitianga and took over the reins of the Glass Bottom Boat. They love taking guests out to see their back yard, snorkel for the first time and to share their message on conservation and sustainability.
Since then the family has grown, and 2 mini skippers or guides have joined the team. Their 2 girls love the ocean and enjoy coming out on the boats and are excellent at spotting marine life through the glass! If you lucky enough to share a tour with them, you will enjoy their delightful commentary.
Every summer the team grows to include some amazing crew, skippers and sales teams. We have a highly experienced team who bring a large list of qualifications from the tourism industry, maritime industry and also academically. The team who consists of dive instructors, dive masters and adventure tourism guides are all passionate conservationists who enjoy being able to spread our message of sustainability.
The team also have a large community involvement with Coastguard, the Marine Reserve Committee, volunteering at community activity groups and even had a crew member in the Whitianga Fire Brigade!
Steve has been skippering boats tours in Mercury Bay for over 13 years and has a wealth of knowledge on many different subjects. Lucky for us he has been apart of the team for the last few years as our senior skipper. Steve says his favourite part of the job are the people he meets and the wildlife encounters he has had.
Caitie is a coromandel local who joined the team back in 2015, and has since then has become a dive instructor and skipper. She has a passion for the ocean and loves to spread our message of conservation. Caitie’s favourite thing to spot on tour are our marine mammals, she still gets very excited when there are dolphin and orca!
We are dedicated to protecting The Te Whanganui A Hei marine reserve and our Coromandel coast line. We assist and work with Department of Conservation in keeping the marine reserve a NO TAKE zone. Our mammal watch permit allows us to interact with marine animals in a safe and sustainable manner. We believe education and knowledge of the reserve and the marine life in it, is the key to successful conservation of the area. We proudly sponsor conservation organisations and fundraisers plus host educational programs and schools camps.
Why we are special:
- We are one of the original two companies in the Coromandel that have a mammal watch permit.
- We share information on sightings with DOC and Orca Research Trust.
- We care about our environment. We recycle, reuse and repurpose as much as possible. We use eco friendly products when possible and try very had to limit our waste.
- We act as Marine Reserve Rangers while on the water always protecting the reserve and promote sustainable interaction with marine mammals.
- We hold a DOC concession to operate inside the marine reserve.
We only have one ocean so please be kind to it. When on the water don’t throw rubbish overboard and if you come across some please pick it up. Don’t take anything from a marine reserve or when out of the reserve don’t take anything you don’t need.
Take only photos and leave only bubbles or footprints.
Guardianship, protection and preservation. The management of our environment.
Seafari FleetWhitianga Glass Bottom Boat
The glass panels are fitted into our v shaped hull allowing the ride to be smooth, stable and fast when travelling distances. Both vessels are equipped with ladders to make getting on and off the vessel when swimming or snorkeling nice and easy.
The comfortable panel seats are along the side of the vessel making the deck nice and spacious, plus allows for passengers to move around the vessel to get the ultimate view and photos.
The cabin is there to protect you from the New Zealand sun and any other weather conditions that we may face. The back of the vessel is open and the large viewing windows make taking photos or enjoying the amazing Coromandel scenery very easy.
Both vessels are safe ship certified and carry all safety equipment required.
©2020 Glass Bottom Boat Whitianga